2012 Tulsa Holiday Parade of Lights
Start: 4th & Elgin • End: 1st & Elgin
1. What is the parade route? See the Parade Route Map: click here.
2. Where are the best places to park?
There are plenty of parking lots in Downtown Tulsa. Please see the Parade Route Map. Gray circles with a P mark private parking lots. Green circles with a P mark public parking lots, and green squares with a “P” mark parking garages.
Street closures at 4 pm. Please note that the Tulsa Police Department will close streets on the parade route at 4 pm. Lots located inside the red line will not be available after that time. For street closures, see the Parade Route Map.
3. Where are the best places to view the parade?
Take a look at the Parade Route Map. You can view the parade anywhere on 1st and 4th Street between Elgin and Denver and on Denver between 1st and 4th Streets.
Some viewers report the best place to view the parade is on Denver near the BOK Center and Winterfest.
4. How long does the parade last? About one hour.
5. What TV channel will broadcast the parade?
KTUL Channel 8 / News8 will show the parade live on December 8 starting at 6 pm.
6. What else is there to do Downtown after the parade is over?
Before or after the parade, check out the fabulous Fifth Annual Winterfest at the BOK Center. This year, be sure to stay for spectacular Winterfest fireworks immediately following the parade. More info here.
Make your parade evening perfect at one of the great McNellie’s Group restaurants in and near Tulsa’s Blue Dome District.
7. I want to volunteer to help behind the scenes with the parade this year or next. Who do I contact?
Great! Please send us an email: email@example.com
1. When do I need to arrive? When is check-in?
All participants: please be on time!
2. Where do I check in my unit for the parade? Where is headquarters?
Check-in will be at Dilly Deli Restaurant – on the back porch behind the restaurant.
Dilly Deli Restaurant
402 East 2nd Street / 2nd & Elgin
3. What is my unit number in the line-up?
Youll find your unit number in each of the following:
4. Where is my unit located in staging?
Look for your unit number on the 2012 Parade Staging Map (REVISED 12/5): click here.
5. I have a float. Where can I store and work on it before the parade?
Tulsas downtown Convention Center will be open Dec. 3 to Dec. 8 in Exhibit Hall C for all float builders to store and work on floats. The exhibit hall will be open from 8 am to 10 pm Monday to Friday, 8 am to 11 pm Saturday (parade day), and 8 am to 5 pm Sunday (after the parade).
The Convention Center is located on 3rd Street between Houston and Denver. The address is 100 Civic Center, Tulsa, OK 74103. Map: click here.
If you require assistance getting into the convention center, please contact the Convention Center Security Desk at 918-606-6489.
There is a ramp entrance to Exhibit Hall C, located on the west side of the building.
Float judging will be held Friday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 pm at the Tulsa Convention Center, Exhibit Hall C. All participants are invited to attend. Floats will be judged in the following three categories: Best Use of Lights, Most Creative, and Best of Show. Trophies will be presented to the winners before the start of the parade Saturday night!
Can I throw candy to viewers during the parade?
No. The parade organization has a strict policy of not allowing candy or other items to be thrown out in the street or to the crowd during the parade. Throwing candy into the crowd would put children at risk – in the crush of the crowd or tempting them to run into the street. Instead, participants can have people walk along the parade near the viewers and hand out candy or other fun items to the crowd.
6. Can I hand out brochures for my business or political messages?
No. The parade organizers – and attendees – want the event to be about celebrating our community rather than promoting businesses or political campaigns.
7. Can I push my baby stroller or wagon in the parade with the unit?
No. The parade organizers have a strict policy of not allowing baby strollers or wagons in the parade – for safety reasons.
8. What is the minimum age to be a walker in the parade?
We ask that parade participants use good judgment when deciding to let children walk in the parade. The parade route is about one mile long and the weather conditions could be very cold and windy. So a good minimum age is 8 years old.
9. Who do I contact to get an entry application for next year?
Please send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org